Thursday 8 December 2011

Close call

My mother and I were sitting during a quiet evening.

"How's your blog?" she inquired in Chinese.

"It's going," I replied.

"Oh, I have a story for you," she said excitedly, sitting up straight.  "You know how it was forbidden to steal food from the Communists, right?"

I nodded.

"Well, one day, when your dad was working in the fields, he stole a large bag of vegetables!" she said.  "He hid it while on the job, but when his shift was over, he brought it home.  It was so delicious, especially since we barely had any to eat."

My eyes widened in terror.  "Did they catch him?" I asked fearfully.

"Wait, listen!" my mom screeched.  "Eventually the Communists realized someone stole their food.  They were very angry.  Your dad was so scared.  He couldn't eat or sleep.  He stayed up all night, waiting for them to knock on the door to kill him."

Oh my God! I thought.

"They did confront him and find out it was him.  Oh yes, he was terrified.  But the weird thing is they let him get away with it.  They left him alone."

Breathing a sigh of relief, I asked, "Why didn't they punish him like they did to the others?"  My mom didn't have an answer for me.  I was just glad they spared his life.

"Your uncle later on did the same thing," my mom said, shaking her head.  "Again, they spared his life even though they found out he stole food from them."

I don't know whether the men in my family are just brave or foolish.

3 comments:

  1. That is an incredible story Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy hell, that's unbelievable. I vote for brave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to share on your blog on how pedro a loan officer helped me with a loan of $4,000,000.00 to boost my business at 2% rate and the loan process was very fast to apply through their website but you can contact pedro on his email / whatsapp conversation: pedroloanss@gmail.com : +18632310632

    ReplyDelete