Thursday 8 September 2011

Humble beginnings

Hello!  Welcome to my blog.  I have created this weblog to share my family's stories of the horrific and tragic Cambodian genocide, also known as the Khmer Rouge regime, from 1975 to 1979.  My family is originally of Chinese descent, but many of them were born and raised in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Surprisingly not a lot of people know about the Khmer Rouge regime, including myself.  The purpose of this blog is to inform and educate you and me about the genocide from several survivors' perspectives.

I have chosen to dedicate my blog to telling stories about the Khmer Rouge regime because I love learning about other people.  I have an innate curiosity about the origins of people.  I also want to use this blog to celebrate what my family has been through.  The fact that they have survived four years of violence, cruelty, and injustice makes me realize how utterly awesome they are.  I am so proud of them, and I hope you will be too.

I intend to conduct interviews with the members of my family, asking them about certain things that have happened during the genocide.

However, I think it would be best for both you and me to read about the Khmer Rouge regime to fully understand the stories.  For a condensed overview of the history of the genocide, click here.

Now that you know a little bit more about the Khmer Rouge regime, my family will be telling you about their personal experiences of the genocide from this point forward.  The stories may be graphic, emotional, and hard to read about.  There will be stories of sadness and perhaps even stories of joy.  Most importantly, each story will be an inspirational tale of perseverance, determination, and looking to a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment